Thursday 24 November 2011

10 things about me...


I thought I would write another get to know me blog.

So, here are 10 things you may not know about me, I make no excuses for any of these facts. They are what they are and although they may shock you, make you feel sorry for me, or make you think I’m just asking for attention, that is not my intention. I am simply showing you who I am and just maybe why I am the way I am.

Without further ado:
  1. Whilst I love cats, I am allergic to them, even my beloved Tangle who lives with her real mummy (my mum) in Tauranga and tries to sleep on my head when I visit – this nearly always ends with me being unable to breathe and/or open my eyes! We have always owned cats, and once had the most beautiful Cavalier King Charles Spaniel called Rags.
  2. A large proportion of my serious relationships (approx. 85%) have begun online. I have met people through IRC, Find Someone, NZ Dating, GaydarGirls and, of course, through Twitter. I would recommend online as a way to meet people, however as with meeting people anywhere… there are plenty of idiots to get through before you find your prince or princess.
  3. I have smoked on and off for 19 years of my life. I have not had a cigarette in 11months and 10 days as of today.
  4. I lived for 5 years in Sydney as a lesbian before returning to New Zealand, realising I was actually bisexual and having to go through the whole arduous process of coming halfway back in!! This was infinitely harder than coming out the first time, because I had to deal with a chorus of “I knew it was a phase!!” from some, luckily my family accept me for who I am no matter what. Contrary to some peoples beliefs, being bisexual does not mean I want to sleep with everyone I meet nor have constant threesomes! No matter whether I end up in a serious long term relationship with a guy or a girl, I want happily ever after. I want to get married and I want at least two children.
  5. I can trace my family back through my mother’s side 11 generations in New Zealand. My father is English and I have dual NZ and English citizenship.
  6. I was sexually abused as a young child by a family friend and lost my virginity to rape at age 16 to one of my closest friend’s boyfriend. Forest Gump was on the TV in the room I was in and he got me drunk on dark rum and coke. I used to love that movie; I now cannot watch it and will never drink rum and coke again. I never officially reported it, street justice did however play its part. It took many years of counselling and medication to control my anxiety and I do still have attacks at the sound of someone’s voice or if I feel uncomfortable in certain situations, I will not let these parts of my life define me entirely and have learnt to cope.
  7. I am a published writer… of Erotic Fiction. I have had several pieces published in an Australian publication called Slit magazine, under the pen name jinnee. My best friend once raved about one of the pieces I wrote to me before suddenly stopping, punching me in the arm and realising that I had a written it. Best. Moment. Ever.
  8. I have been engaged 3 times. First to a gay man… yeah that was never going to work – I was in love with him (or so I thought) and he was in love with a male friend of ours yet proposed to me on Mount Maunganui beach New Year’s Day in the late 90’s. The second was a woman named Michelle, she was lovely and things were going well, until she stopped taking her schizophrenia medication and restarted taking a lot of drugs. She began to be convinced that someone was paying me to be with her and I could not deal with her mental health issues when I was having enough trouble dealing with my own. I made a choice to walk away – a choice that lost me my home, some of my oldest friends and a lot of my self-respect. I beat myself up for that one for a very long time. The third and most recent engagement was with Louise/Jenny (don’t even ask). This time I even got a ring! She proposed during a storm, when we were in the middle of a black out on a flooded in ostrich farm in the Bay of Plenty in 2004. She was roaring drunk and got down on one knee and all. She moved in with me in Tauranga, with my mother and I thought we were happy. Until I came home from work one day and she had packed up all of her stuff and moved out – she left me a two page letter under her house key explaining that she had cheated on me and was moving in with the other woman. That relationship latest 6 months and when it ended she stalked me for 4 years. Yup, I can pick them.
  9. I have four brothers. Two older step brothers, 1 younger full blooded brother and 1 younger half-brother who I did not meet until I was 30 and he was 28. My other younger brother has still not met him. My father cheated on my mother when my brother and I were young, his mistress had his child and he denied he was his until many years later. He is now seeing that woman again, more than 25 years since they broke up.
  10. I am a qualified Hairdresser, have studied IT, Human Resource Management, Small Business management and Fashion Design Technology and have worked in all of these fields plus recruitment, advertising/marketing, waitressing, childcare, cleaning and a good old fashioned job at Burger King! All of which have prepared me well for my current role in Events Management!
So that’s me, or some things about me. Feel free to comment. Xx

4 comments:

  1. Most of my relationships have begun online too.
    <3
    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being introduced to the Internet at a relatively young (14) age, it's played a big part in my development and I would know any different. I think it helped bring me out if my shell in many ways, and certainly helped me cope when I felt I couldn't turn to anyone in my day to day life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my most fave movies is "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" which pretty much asks the question if you could change your past or erase parts of it would you? I often muse on that thought and wonder if you do too?

    And thanks for being so honest too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen that movie but i have often pondered that. It would be stupid for me to say I wouldn't change anything... because I would change #6 if I could. The rest... maybe I would have reached out to my half-brother earlier?

    ReplyDelete